What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vegan Pico De Gio Nachos

My 8 year old daughter got a recipe book (and the cutest little apron) from her Grandma and Grandpa for Christmas. She has been begging to make something out of it since. She looked through it and came to me and said "look Mom, you will like this one! There is no meat, and I just won't put cheese. Can I make it please?". I relented a let her go to town in the kitchen. She did it all by herself and it turned out amazing! I had to share. It is from the DK Cookbook for Girls.


It's called Nachos & Salsa but I thought that
Vegan Pico De Gio Nachos
was a better description for the adjustments we made to the origional recipe.

Ingredients:
Plain tortilla chips
3-4 medium tomatoes, (cut in half, seed removed, then chopped)
1/2 red onion, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lime
4 T. finely chopped cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
(additional yummy options to add: can of diced chillies (or fresh), fresh bell peppers, mushrooms)

Place Tortilla chips on a cookie sheet or pan. Mix all other ingridents together in a bowl (besides salt and pepper). Sprinkle over chips. Optional * spritz with olive oil spray or lime juice. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top. Place under a preheated broiler for 3-4 minutes.
The next time we make it I will either double the recipe, or use less chips. But, it was so flavorful and yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment