What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fresh Salsa

This is a family recipe, that I have adjusted a little bit over the years, to be in my unhumble opinion, the most delicious salsa, ever. It is a family tradition with most of my siblings to hand it out as "neighbor gifts" at Christmas time. But I make it almost weekly. My kids were eating this salsa almost since birth, and it's blended consistancy allows them to actually eat the veggies in it, without just dipping into the sauce around the veggies.

We add it to breakfast potatoes, bean and veggie burros, over rice, mix it with avacado to make guacamole, mix it with vegitarian refried beans as a bean dip, have it as the dressing for a vegan santa fe salad, the options for this salsa are endless. It is one of my best friends:-)

Ingedients:
1 Can Diced tomatoes, large 28oz (petite diced work best)
1 can El Pato Sauce, 8 oz (found in Hispanic section at most stores)
1 Can diced green chilies
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions
1/8 of yellow onion, diced small (in food processor)
1/2 bunch cilantro (more if you like)
salt & pepper to taste
One generous squirt of lime juice (or juice from 1-2 limes)
2 avocados, chopped (I don't always add the avacados, if I want to use it for lots of things during the week)

Put all ingredients in a large bowl, besides the cilantro & avocado, and mix. Then I use a food processor (Ninja) to finely chop the cilantro, and add that to the salsa. Use food processor again to blend the salsa into a finer consistency, similar to Chilli's Restaurant. Last, add the avocado and stir.

No comments:

Post a Comment