What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fried Rice with Tofu



Ingredients:
About 1 C. Veggie broth
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 med onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 large carrots
1/2 of a crown of broccoli, chopped
5 whole white button mushrooms, chopped
1 C. frozen peas

2 teaspoons seasame oil
1 pkg. Extra Firm Tofu

2 C. Rice (cooked)
salt to taste
Vegan Soy Sauce (Tamari) or Teriyaki Sauce (we use Soy Vay Island Teriyaki)

Directions:
Cook the rice according to package directions.
Sautee onion and garlic in a little veggie broth (less fat, same outcome as oil).
Add chopped veggies, and a little more broth (enough so veggies don't stick and burn, but not too much). Let steam until soft. About 10 mins.
While veggies are cooking, chop Tofu into squares and fry in a skillet with the 2 tsp. seasame oil.
This video was helpful when cooking Tofu my first time: How to Fry Tofu

Add the Rice to the veggies, stir. Then add the Tofu.

Last add about 4 T. of  whatever sauce you picked. (can add more later if not enough, I think we ended up with 6 T.)

I found this one in the Asian foods section at Winco. It is by far the best tasting Terriaki sauce we have tried.
SO. GOOD.
Soy Vay, Island Teriyaki

This recipe will feed my family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) for two nights.
I am a huge fan of recipes that last two nights. Less work for me and cheaper.
If you don't like leftovers, you may want to half the recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment