What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Buckwheat Pancakes

Buckwheat is awesome. It is a fruit, not a grain. Buckwheat is gluten free, rich in protein, lysine(amino acid), magnesium, and research shows it will help keep glucouse levels in check. It also makes delicious pancakes...that satisfy me as much as my previous go to "Aunt Jemima's Buttermilk Pancake Mix". So greatful to have found a healthy alternative that my kids love!



Ingredients:
1 C. Whole Buckwheat (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 C. Almond Milk (or non-dairy milk of your choice)

1 T. Coconut Oil
1 T. Maple Syrup
"Flax-eggs"-egg replacement ( 2 T. ground Flax, mixed with 6 T. Water, let soak for a few mins)
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder

Blend the buckwheat and milk together well in a blender or food processor (I use my Ninja)
Add the coconut oil, syrup, "flax-eggs", vanilla, and salt. Blend.
Add the bkg soda and powder last, and blend. (seems to fluff it up best this way)

If it is too thick to pour, add a little bit more milk (sometimes mine needs just a bit more for some reason, sometimes it's fine?)

Pour on a skillet or griddle, cook on each side, serve and enjoy!
We love to put Organic Peanut Butter, or Almond Butter on ours with a little Pure Maple Syrup.
I use Earth Balance (butter sub) to grease the griddle.


No comments:

Post a Comment