What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mexican Salad


The easiest thing for me to make since going plant based (that the whole family is happy with) seems to be variations of different mexican dishes. You still get all the flavor and I find I don't really miss the meat, cheese, and sour cream as much as I thought I would. Whenever I am struggling with cravings for bad things, if I make a mexican dish, it usually satisfies me and reminds me that I am not missing out on anything eating this way (and after 30 days now, not one headache or my usual stomach issues, it is SO worth it!!)
 
 
Mexican Salad
 
Ingredients:
~Lettuce
~Black beans
~tomatoes, diced
~grilled red, green, yellow pepper with onions
~Rice (I make mine using veggie broth instead of water, and I add a little cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I just mix some of my homemade salsa with the rice and it is good that way too)
~Homemade guacamole (I mix some of my homemade salsa or some Herdez salsa with mashed avacado, sprinkle on a little salt and pepper and some lime juice. This is just as good as the lenghty guac recipies I have tried and way less work)
 
-The salsa and guac act as your "dressing". SO YUMMY!!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment