What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cowboy Caviar

I was calling this the "black-bean-avocado-corn-salsa-stuff", until I learned from a friend a month ago that it actually has an official name. "Cowboy Caviar" is one of my favorite things on planet earth.
I think it is filling enough to actually be called dinner, though it is usually listed in the "side dish" category. I was afraid my hubby would agree with it's side dish status, but he said his 1 cup serving ( a heaping cup) and 15 tortilla chips were plenty:)



I have seen several different variations of this salad. This is what I like to put in mine:

Ingredients:

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 C. corn (i use frozen because I have a ton on hand-steamed before adding to salad-but a can of corn would be sufficient)
3-4 tomatoes, diced
3 avocado's, diced
1/4 of a red onion, diced small
1/2 bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 C. Italian Dressing (See this list- condiment section)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Basically you just put all this together in a bowl, reserving the dressing to be mixed in last.
Refrigerate until cold and flavors have time to marinate. (30 mins to 1 hour)
Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment