What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Baked Oatmeal

I got the original recipe from a friend, and over the months I have altered it to be "Vegan" friendly.
It still has a bit more sugar than I would like, but it is an amazing breakfast treat. My kids beg for it.
It only has 211 calories per serving (1/8 of the batch) So I shouldn't feel too bad I guess.

Sometimes I add applesauce instead of the "butter". It is still good, but comes out more fluffy, bread like, than crumbly oatmeal.
Our favorite way to eat it is with fresh Farmers Market berries or peaches in the summertime, but since it is winter, today we just had banana slices on top.

Ingredients:

3 Cups oats
1/2 Cup brown sugar ( or raw sugar, I use vegan Demerara Sugar Crystals, I bought at Walmart)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
"Flax Eggs" (2 T. ground flax meal, mixed with 6 T. Water, let soak for a few mins)
1 1/4 C. almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
3 T. Earth Balance, melted (butter sub)

Directions:
In a large bowl combine oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and bkg powder. In another bowl combine melted "butter", milk, and flax eggs. Pour into oats mixture and stir until blended. Pour into an 8x8 square baking pan. Bake at 350 for about 40 mins or until set. Yield 8 servings.

*Helpful note: I love to put this altogether the night before and let it soak in the fridge over night. Then I can just pop it in the oven in the morning, and go shower, and then its ready!


It also lasts really well stored in the fridge and warmed up the next day.
One batch lasts two days for us.


You can also pour milk over the top of it all, if you prefer. I like it's crumbly, sticky perfection just the way it is myself. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment