What is a plant based diet?

What is a plant based diet?
A plant based diet to me means that the vast majority of calories I consume comes from produce, beans, nuts and seeds, healthy fats, and grains. It means trying to eliminate meat, dairy, eggs, ect. Does that mean I will never again eat meat, dairy, or something that's not good for me? Nope. But I am going to do my best from now on to focus my meals around this healthier form of eating.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Minestrone Soup


4-5 cups of veg broth
1 28oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained
2 carrots, diced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic
 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 half teaspoon sage (optional)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 can kidney beans drained
1 can great northern beans (any beans work, I sub black beans all the time)
1/2 cup ditalini pasta (shells, or other short noodle)
1 zucchini chopped
1- 1/2 pkg frozen spinach

Sautee onion and garlic. Add veggie broth.
Cook broth carrots, tomatoes, celery, thyme, sage, bay leaves, salt, pepper and beans. When veg are tender add ditalini, zucchini and spinach.
Other Veggies I add:
Potatoes
Yellow squash
Frozen corn
Frozen peas
green beans
Bell peppers
Broccoli
Califlower
usually whatever I have around, the more the better

No comments:

Post a Comment